Wednesday, May 26, 2010

random observations

I was working this past Monday, and talking to co-workers about random topics- most of them humorous, as many of the conversations in a kitchen tend to be. We somehow got on the topic of 'crack' and 'crack heads.' My co-worker said that his eight year old daughter was asking him what crack was, how it was made, and why people did it. I snickered at the absurdity of that type of question coming out of an eight year old's mouth. I probably found it funny because I thought to myself "how does a child that young even hear the term 'crack head,' unless they actively read the paper or watch the news?" I almost instantly regretted my reaction when I learned that this little girl was trying to understand why her mother was addicted to crack cocaine. I felt like an ass.

One of my neighbors receives much of his money from family owned hog farms here in Eastern North Carolina. He said that no one working in the hog farming industry believes that the animals are treated humanely, but it is the only real money maker for most farmers, especially after "they took the tobacco away." He said that the stench one smells when on a 'hog factory' (or down wind of it) is "the smell of money."

I know these are depressing- or rather disturbing pieces of information, but I think that they are important observations, however random they may be. This is Eastern North Carolina Culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment